My wife and I aren’t moving this upcoming year, but we are thinking of moving sometime in the future just to get closer to family (so if you have suggestions in one of NC, VA, or MD, please let me know!).
One of the great things about being a math teacher is that we are interviewing the schools about as much (if not more!) than they are interviewing us. My poor wife is a Social Studies/History teacher, and she was much more worried about getting a job than I was.
What I’m interested in is putting together a list of questions I’d like to ask a new school before going there. So here’s what I’ve thought of and I hope to continue improving this list to “cover my bases” when we decide to take the plunge. Note: these questions are not necessarily in order from most important to least–though that’s something to definitely think about.
- How many students per class on average?
- Which/how many subjects will I be teaching?
- How often are teachers asked to change subjects (from year to year)?
- What kind of technology access is there in the classroom?
- How often do students/classes have access to computer labs or other technology?
- What kind of testing is required of the students?
- How do teachers/administration interact with and use this testing?
This is just a quick list, if you have other good questions, or even improvements to these questions, please let me know!